Menu
Sign Up
Forum News

Worth it to Chase United Premier Gold Status for Lounge Access?

Started by Wings9438 • 14 hours ago • 6 replies • 32 views
So I'm debating whether to go for United's Premier Gold status this year. I fly United quite a bit for work, and I've been eyeing that sweet lounge access, especially during those long layovers. I know Gold gets you into the Star Alliance lounges, which could be a lifesaver. But, I'm not sure if the effort and cost to hit Gold are really worth it.

I usually fly out of Newark and sometimes O'Hare, and I know those lounges can be pretty decent. Anyone here who's been through this? Is the lounge access and extra baggage allowance enough to justify the chase for Gold, or should I just stick with Silver and use my credit card perks for lounges? Any thoughts or experiences would be super helpful!
If you're flying United a lot for work, going for Gold might be worth it just for the lounge access. Those long layovers can feel way less painful when you're chilling in a lounge. Plus, the extra baggage allowance is a nice bonus. But, if you've got a good credit card that gets you into decent lounges already, maybe weigh the cost of hitting Gold against what you'd really gain. Do you fly enough to make it worth the extra effort and cost?
I've been in your shoes and went for the Gold status. The lounge access is definitely a game-changer on long layovers, especially at Newark and O'Hare. The Star Alliance lounges are usually solid too. But honestly, weigh the cost and time to hit Gold against how often you actually use those lounges. If your credit card perks cover most of your needs, you might want to stick with Silver. Also, check if you're close to hitting Gold anyway with your work flights. That could make the decision easier.
If you already have a credit card that gets you lounge access, I'd weigh the benefits. Gold is nice for those Star Alliance lounges and extra bags, but it really depends on how often you plan to use them. I had Gold for a year, and while the lounges were a perk, sometimes they were crowded. Also, check if your flights are often on partners that give you access. If not, maybe your card's perks are enough.
I think it depends on how much you value the lounge experience. If you're flying out of Newark and O'Hare a lot, those lounges can be a nice escape during long layovers. But if you already have credit card access to lounges, it might not be worth the extra effort just for Gold. The baggage allowance could be a plus, but if you're not checking bags often, that might not sway you. How often do you find yourself with long layovers or needing extra bags?
I went for Gold last year, mainly for the lounge access, and it made my travel life way easier. Layovers at Newark feel less like a drag now. But here's the thing, if your credit card already gives you decent lounge access, maybe it's not worth the hassle. The extra baggage is nice, but if you don't use it much, it doesn't justify the effort. How close are you to hitting Gold anyway? If you're really close, it might tip the scales.

Please login to reply to this topic.

Login Sign Up